Kolkata Metro Information
“India’s First, Kolkata’s Pride”. Thirty-seven years after independence, the Kolkata metro system was the first in India. The metro proves to be valuable to not just the people of Kolkata but it also serves the neighbouring areas of South 24 Parganas and North 24 Parganas. The metro however, operates on just 1 line, serving 24 stations in total. With expansion plans already underway, 5 more lines are under construction. The popularity of it among the masses can be clearly seen with it having a daily ridership of over 650,000.
Kolkata Metro Map
Map of Kolkata Metro showing various lines and stations is below.
Kolkata Metro Timings
Between Monday-Saturday, along with other holidays, the metro begins operations at around 6:45 am in the morning and runs till 22:00 pm. However, on Sundays, it begins operations slightly later at around 10:00 am in the morning and runs till 22:00 pm.
The frequency of the trains vary with the timings. Accordingly, it ranges from 5-15 minutes. For more information with regard to the timings, frequency as well the schedule, you can visit the official website at: http://www.kolmetro.com/
Kolkata Metro Tickets, Fares and Cards
Kolkata metro has introduced with smart card system and the minimum fare is just Rs5. The maximum fare is Rs25 and passengers holding smart card will get 10% bonus on the overall value. The fare depends upon distance travelled. To buy a smart card you have to deposit Rs100 and metro riders can recharge the smart card from the machines.
The New Kolkata Metro Fares for single journey tokens is given below:
|VI||25.01 and above||25.00|
Furthermore, there are special types of tickets available for tourists. The Tourist Smart Card can be used for one day or three days in which, one can enjoy unlimited travel in the metro. The 1-day card costs Rs 250 and the 3-day card costs Rs 550. A security deposit of Rs 60 has to be made for the smart cards.
The fare table for students is slightly different. It can viewed at the official website of the metro along with additional information with regard to the fares— http://www.kolmetro.com/
Kolkata Metro Rules and Tips
A single journey token, is meant for just a single journey i.e one-way , only. If one is using the smart card, make sure to have a minimum of Rs 25, without which entry into the station is not allowed. Be careful to make a proper exit while using the smart card, in the absence of which the card can be blocked. A maximum baggage allowance of 10kgs is allowed on the metro and not more. Offensive and dangerous articles in particular are prohibited.
For more information, you can visit the official website at: http://www.kolmetro.com/
Kolkata Metro Places of Interest
The Kolkata metro provides connectivity to a number of tourist spots as well as important locations. The Dum Dum station provides connectivity to the Airport. Those who are interested in the religious history of Kolkata, can visit the Parashnath Temple which is not too far away from the Belgachia station. The National Museum Asiatic Society can be visited if one gets down at the Park Street station. The Rabindra Sadan Victoria Memorial Nandan is a beautiful architectural structure to say the least. Get down at the Rabindra Sadan station to visit this beautiful place.
For more information with regard to the places of interest, you can visit the official website at: http://www.kolmetro.com/
Kolkata Metro Lines
The Kolkata Metro network consists of 1 operational line and 4 more in the planning/construction stages.. After the completion of all metro lines, the total length of the Kolkata metro will be 120.03.
- Kolkata Metro Line 1 – Line 1 is the first operational line which started service in 1984 from Noapara towards Kavi Subhash. The length of this route is 27.22 km serving 24 stations in total. 15 stations are built underground and it was the first underground railway to be built in India.
- Kolkata Metro Line 2 – Line 2 is also known by the name east-west metro. The line connects Kolkata with Howrah by underwater metro line and this line will be constructed by the Kolkata metro rail corporation. It is scheduled to be opened by December 2018 and the length of the route will be 14.67 km. Line 2 is planning to have 12 stations and the metro will provide service from Howrah Maidan towards Salt Lake Sector 5. This would be the first underwater metro line in India. The metro is planning to run under the Hooghly river and transfer location will be located at Sealdah and Howrah.
- Kolkata Metro Line 3 – Line 3 is under construction and the metro will be offering service from Joka towards Mahakaran. The length of the route will be 17.075 km and line 3 will be serving 13 stations. It too, is set to begin operations in December 2018.
- Kolkata Metro Line 4 – Line 4 is under construction and the metro will be offering service from Noapara to Barasat. The length of the route will be 17.13 km and it will be serving 10 stations.
- Kolkata Metro Line 5 – Line 5 is under the planning stages and the metro will be offering service from Baranagar to Barrackpore. The length of the route will be 12 km and it will be serving 11 stations. However, as it looks like the line is going to disturb the water pipelines, it may not be constructed after all.
- Kolkata Metro Line 6 – Line 6 is under construction and the metro will be offering service from Kavi Subhash to Dum Dum airport station. The length of the route will be 29.1 km and it will be serving 24 stations.
Kolkata Metro Parking
Kolkata metro provides underground parking facility for passengers.
Kolkata Metro Stations
The Names of stations on Line 1 of Kolkata Metro are :
Masterda Surya Sen
Jatin Das Park
Mahatma Gandhi Road
Kolkata Metro Pictures
Kolkata Metro Resources