About Guru Nanak Dev Ji
Guru Nanak Dev was the founder of Sikhism and is the first among the 10 gurus of Sikhs. He was born in Nankana Sahib in Punjab (now in Pakistan) and is considered to be holy by the Punjabi Hindus and Sahajdhari Sindhis across the subcontinent.
Let’s take a look at the interesting facts about Guru Nanak Dev.
1. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born in the year 1469 at Nankana Sahib.
2. Guru Nanak’s birthday is celebrated on 14th April according to the Nanakshi calendar.
3. His birth anniversary is known as Guru Nanak Guruparab or Prakash Utsav.
4. Countries which are popularly known for celebrating his birth anniversary are India, Pakistan and some parts of England.
5. He is the founder of the Sikhism. All the other 9 gurus followed his path and teachings.
6. He was married to Mata Sulakhini and they had two sons named Sri Chand and Lakshmi Chand.
7. He also had a sister named Bibi Nanaki and she was five years older to him.
8. Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of Sikhs, contains the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev.
9. Since his childhood days, Nanak mastered his skills in various languages such as Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit, Hindi and other regional languages.
10. The followers of Guru Nanak are known as Sikhs or Nanak-panthies.
11. The last days of his life were spent at Kartarpur in Punjab, where he got settled as a peasant farmer and teacher.
12. He was against the concept of caste system and he always spread the message that everyone is equal.
13. He was also against gender equality. It is said that his first disciple was his sister – Bibi Nanaki.
14. He has traveled to many countries to spread the message of existence of one God and to love and respect every human being.
15. Most of his journeys were made on foot along with his close companion Bhai Mardana.
16. He appointed Bhai Lehna as his successor and named him Guru Angad.
17. He died in 1538 AD, at the age of 69.