Barcelona Metro Information
Barcelona metro is a rapid transit system and a popular means of Public transportation in Barcelona, Spain. The system began operations in the year 1924, and presently has 11 lines that serve 141 stations. The system has a total track length of 102.6 km (63.8 miles). It is operated by TMB & FGC. As per 2012 statistics, the system had an annual ridership of 412, 583, 000 passengers. The system is a network of electrified railways and also has three driverless lines.
Barcelona Metro Map
Map of Barcelona Metro showing existing and future lines and stations. Click on the map to enlarge it. You can also download Barcelona Metro Map in PDF.
Barcelona Metro Hours
On Monday-Thursday and public holidays, the metro operates from 5:00 am to midnight. On Fridays and public holiday eves, the metro starts at 5:00 am and runs until 2:00 am. On Saturdays and eves of 1st January, 24th June, 16th August, 20th September and 24th September, the metro operations start at 5:00 am and operates continuously. On Sundays, the service is continuous until midnight. On 24th December, the operations are from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm.
Barcelona Metro Fares, Tickets and Cards
Riders who use the public transport very rarely can purchase single tickets. The ticket is priced at €2.15 and is valid for a single journey. It can be purchased from vending machines or TMB customer service centers.
Passengers can also purchase Barcelona travel cards for 2, 3, 4 or 5 days and can use it for unlimited rides on those days. These cards can be used on the metro, bus, tram and local and regional trains. A 2 day Barcelona travel card can be purchased for 14€, a 3 day Barcelona card can be obtained for 20€. Similarly, a 4 day and 5 day Barcelona card can be purchased for 25.50€ and 30.50€ respectively. The cards include transfers between different travel operators. These can be purchased from various sales points and online. A 10% discount is given when these are purchased online.
There are various Discount Travel Cards that offer special prices. A T-4 card costs 3.90€ and is an individual card that provides 10 journeys on the TMB metro and bus network, provided the travel card is used in conjunction with any of these cards-Reduced-fare “Targeta rosa metropolitana”, Reduced-fare “Carnet rosa metropolità”, “Carnet groc metropolità”, “Carnet rosa metropolità”, FGC type-A pensioner’s card and FGC type-B pensioner’s card. A T-12 card can be purchased for children in the age group 4-13 years. It’s an individual one zone card and provides unlimited free travel during the validity period.
T-Mes FM/FN General is a monthly zone based card, which is non-transferable and provides unlimited journeys for 30 consecutive days. This card can be used by general-single parent and large families. The price for Zone 1- Zone 6 is 42.20€, 61.95€, 84€, 99.60€, 114.40€ and 122.40€ respectively.
A T-FM/FN 70/90 general card is a discounted travel card that can be used by multiple persons, and provides 70 journeys in 90 days. The prices per zone from zone1- zone 6 are 57.70€, 113.70€, 155.10€, 199.65€, 229.30€ and 243.90€ respectively.
A T-Trimestre FM/FN General card is an individual discount card that provides unlimited journeys in a period of 90 days. The price for this card from zone 1- zone 6 are 113.60€, 168.80€, 232€, 274€, 312€ and 324.80€ respectively.
A T-Jove FM/FN General card is a personalized discount card for people under the age of 25. It’s a 90 day travel card and its price for Zone 1- Zone 6 is 84€, 124€, 168€, 199.20€, 228.40€ and 244.40€ respectively.
A Targeta rosa metropolitana card is an individual travel card that can be used for unlimited number of journeys in one year. A T-Escolar card is an individual travel card for school groups. It provides two journeys and is valid on metro, bus, FGC urban rail and tram. It costs 1€.
Children under four years of age travel free.
For more information on tickets, cards and fares, visit
Barcelona Metro Parking
Barcelona Metro offers park and ride facilities to the passengers at cheap fare. There is a limited parking space available at each metro station.
Barcelona Metro Rules and Tips
The tickets are inspected by a team of inspectors, and if found without a valid ticket, a fine of up to 600 euros is levied. The metro system also provides park and ride facility at various stations for a nominal fee. Transit of bicycles is allowed in the metro.
Barcelona Metro Lines
Barcelona metro has 11 lines and ATM have announced two additional lines in future, L12 and L13. TMB consists of 8 lines, L1 to L5 and L9 to L11 FCG operates three lines, L6 L& and L8. All the metro lines are recognized by number and color.
- L1 – L1 line was opened in 1929 and the length of the route is 20.7km serving 29 stations. The line operates between Hospital de Bellvitge and Fondo.
- L2 – L2 line was opened in 1995 and the length of the route is 13.7km serving 18 stations. The line operates between Paralel and Badalona Pompeu Fabra.
- L3 – L3 line was opened in 1924 and the length of the route is 18.4km serving 26 stations. The line operates between Zona Universitaria and Trinitat Nova.
- L4 – L4 line was opened in 1973 and the length of the route is 17.3km serving 22 stations. The line operates between Trinitat Nova and La Pau.
- L5 – L5 line was opened in 1959 and the length of the route is 19.168 km serving 26 stations. The line operates between Cornella Centre and Vall d’Hebron.
- L6 – L6 line was opened in 1976 and the length of the line is 5.3km serving 9 stations. The line operates between Pl. Catalunya and Reina Elisenda.
- L7 – L7 was opened in 1954 and the length of the route is 4.6km serving 7 stations. The line operates between Pl. Catalunya and Av. Tibidabo.
- L8 – L8 was opened in 2000 and the length of the route is 11.2km serving 11 stations. The line operates between Pl. Espanya Moli’ Nou and Ciutat Cooperativa.
- L9 – L9 was opened in 2009 and the length of the line is 7.8km serving 9 stations. The line operates between La Sagrera and Can Zam.
- L10 – L10 was opened in 2010 and the length of the route is 5.5km serving 6 stations. The line operates between La Sagrera and Gorg.
- L11 – L11 was opened in 2003 and the length of the route is 2.1km serving 5 stations. The line operates between Trinitat Nova and Can Cuias.
The metro operating between Parc de Montjuic and Paral-lel is a part of TMB which was opened in 1928 serving 2 stations.
Barcelona Metro Pictures
Barcelona Metro Resources