“The human brain is by far the most complex physical object known to us in the entire cosmos”. Owen Gingerick.
These facts about your brain can really blow your mind.
1. The average human brain weighs about three pounds and is 140mm wide and 167mm long.
2. The human brain has about 100 billion neurons.
3. During early pregnancy the neurons multiply at a rate of 250,000 neurons per minute.
4. At the time of your birth the size of your brain is disproportionately larger than other organs of the body.
5. The brain consists of 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
6. The brain is composed of 60 percent white matter and 40 percent gray matter.
7. The brain is the central command of the nervous system but it’s surprising that it lacks nerves.
8. Due to the lack of nerves, the brain has no pain receptors and hence can’t feel pain.
9. The human brain transmits information at the rate of 268 miles per hour.
10. The brain is about 2 percent of the body weight but it uses about 30 percent of your calorie intake.
11. The brain uses about 20 percent oxygen of the total body.
12. The taste receptors in the human body are present not only in the stomach, intestine and lungs but also in the brain.
13. Alcohol kills brain cells.
14. Scientists are of the view that higher the I.Q you posses, the more you tend to dream.
15. Reading out loudly to kids can accelerate their brain development.
16. There is a misconception that the human beings use only 10 percent of their brain but the fact is that each part of the brain has a specific function to perform.
17. It’s interesting that our skin weighs about twice as much as our brain.
18. Oxytocin is one of the hormones that are responsible in triggering the feeling of love in the brain.
19. It is a proved fact that excess of stress can not only alter the brain cells but also its structure and function.
20. The brain can live without oxygen for 4 to 6 minutes but the lack of oxygen for more than 6 to 10 minutes can damage the brain permanently.
21. The capacity of the human brain is estimated to be 256 Exabyte’s, i.e. 256 billion GB which is equal to 1.2 billion PC Hard drives.
22. The human brain can perform about thirty eight trillion operations in a second, which is five hundred times more than the fastest computer in the world.
23. The brain makes conscious decisions about 7 seconds even before you are aware of it.
24. Scientists are of the view that dieting can force your brain to eat itself.
25. You cannot tickle yourself as your brain can clearly distinguish between the unexpected touch that is external from your own touch and laughing at a joke may seem to be a simple action to you but it requires the coordination of activities in five different areas of your brain.
“The human brain is an incredible pattern matching machine”. Jeff Bezos.